Tuesday, January 8, 2008

What a Day

The Big Ten has never disappointed me quite as much as it has this year. Wisconsin lost in a game of too many missed opportunities, Illinois was humiliated at the hands of USC, and Ohio State was just handily defeated by LSU tonight in the BCS National Championship game. It was especially frustrating after watching OSU go up 10-0 with barely 3 minutes gone in the first quarter and then allow LSU 31 unanswered points. This of course continues to lend credibility to commentators who slam the Big Ten, which many of them have undertaken as something of a personal hobby (especially on ESPN). Better luck next year I suppose. I would like to say that this year more than any other makes it painfully obvious that we NEED a playoff at the end of the season to determine the true #1 team in the nation. I think that surely Georgia, USC, Kansas, Missouri, and most of all West Virginia deserve a chance to prove themselves as potentially being the nation's best. I do not think that LSU was clearly the best team this year, especially when you consider the fact that they lost. Twice. And one of those losses was to an unranked team. Bah.

Earlier in the morning, I watched Shoot 'Em Up. Clive Owen and Paul Giamatti are absolutely brilliant actors (especially Owen in Sin City and Children of Men and Giamatti in Sideways), but even their presence could not save this poorly scripted and poorly directed pile of cinematic manure. The CGI is atrocious, the fight scenes are horrendously choreographed and the dialog seems to have been written by an angry teenager who has just learned curse words for the very first time. I don't think I have been so... disappointed by a film for a long time. I frankly cannot believe how well people review this film on IMDB... it makes me sad that people enjoy such rubbish.

And of course after the game, I finished up Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction on the PS3. It is one of the system's finest games and I quite enjoyed myself. You can catch my review here.

That's it for me.

Blu3

No comments: