Sunday, January 27, 2008

Australian Open Finale / There Will Be Blood

Before I begin, I'd like to make a quick announcement that I've posted my Assassin's Creed review just a few minutes ago.

The Australian Open came to a close today as Novak Djokovic pulled off an impressive victory over Jo-Wilfried Tsonga. Djokovic, a heavy favorite, dropped the first set, but then cruised to three straight to win the match. I really like Djokovic and wish him continued success.

Ordinarily I wouldn't talk too much about golf, but Tiger Woods just posted one of the most dominant performances of his career, winning the Buick Open by 8 strokes. There is some significant buzz as to whether or not he can win a calendar Grand Slam this year. I for one fully believe in Tiger's ability, especially his rock solid mental toughness. Best of luck, Tiger.

Arsenal got back in action yesterday, and achieved a solid 3-0 result against Newcastle United in FA Cup 4th round play. Emmanuel Adebayor continues to impress me as one of Arsenal's finest players in many years. He scored twice, in the 50th and 84th minutes to give Arsenal a 2-0 lead. Cesc Fabregas took an excellent free kick in the 88th minute which was headed into the goal by Newcastle's own Nicky Butt (what an unfortunate surname...).

Finally, I'd like to make a comment on There Will Be Blood. This film is so extraordinary that it made me wish to see it a second time straightaway after my first viewing. I was absolutely glued to the screen for the full 2 hours and 38 minutes. Daniel Day-Lewis gives one of the greatest performances of the modern film era, he is nothing short of transcendent. Day-Lewis simply must win the Oscar for Best Actor in a Leading Role, the other nominees do not even come close. Paul Dano also plays his part with exceptional skill and looks poised to be part of the next generation of great actors. This movie is so powerful and overwhelming that it is destined to stay with you long after you watch it. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Cheers.

Blu3

2 comments:

John Das Binky said...

Interestingly, that's the first glowing review of TWBB I've read. I enjoyed it, but thought it was kind of middling... Like it was a really good 90 minute movie buried behind an additional hour of filler. (Boogie Nights and Magnolia both had the same issue, methinks.)

The completely ape$hit performances were awesome. DDL was a little over the top in spots, but I wouldn't begrudge him another Oscar for it.

Great summary of the flick here, worth a read.

perfectblu3 said...

Hey thanks for the link... that blog has some hilarious reviews. I agree with your observation about Boogie Nights and Magnolia... although I suppose I'm a bit more enamored with TWBB than a few others. They could have cut at least 45 minutes that I likely wouldn't have missed.

Cheers.