Saturday, February 23, 2008

Odds and Ends

Today I was finally able to see Atonement, the only film nominated for Best Picture that I somehow missed. An compelling mix of drama, romance, and war genres, Atonement tells a very tight and indeed very tragic tale. On a warm summer day in 1935, young Briony Tallis (Saoirse Ronan) is feeling especially imaginative. Robbie Turner (James McCavoy) and Cecilia Tallis (Keira Knightly) are in love, and young Briony steps in to accuse Robbie of a crime he did not commit. This false accusation dramatically changes all three lives forever. The film is indeed sorrowful and stunning, with jaw-dropping cinematography. The imagery is quite extraordinary, especially one 5 minute sequence set on the beaches at Dunkirk. This stellar scene is able to encompass the entire spectrum of the human condition in a single, sweeping shot. I also quite enjoyed the performances by McCavoy and Ronan. Ronan does indeed deserve a nod for Best Supporting Actress, but does not deserve to win. More on that in a moment.

Although this film was exceptionally well done, and indeed one of the finest pictures of the last year, it did not quite have the magic for me that some of the other top films did. I was moved certainly, but it did not really absorb me into its story. The ending really played out like a quality film, but a fairly lengthy sequence in the 3rd act is very misleading, and I mean that in the worst way possible. It is not a clever twist or thoughtful device to mislead the audience, it is an ill-conceived chapter that makes the ending less than epic. It is still a very fine film and should not be missed.

I also just picked up Professor Layton and the Curious Village for the Nintendo DS. I must say that my shiny white DS Lite has been sitting in a drawer for about a year now due to the lack of intriguing titles. That has all changed now that I am absolutely addicted to this game. The concept in a nutshell is that you are a bit of a Sherlock Holmes type of character (the Professor) but each and every way you turn, there is a new puzzle to solve. As you move about the village trying to solve a mystery, residents will give you puzzles, the Professor will randomly challenge you (you play his assistant), and each and every new situation requires you to solve some sort of devious brain teaser. This game is a true delight. The puzzles are challenging and fun, and it provides you with an excellent opportunity to exercise your mind while following a lighthearted, yet completely immersive narrative. I highly recommend this game if you enjoy puzzles, riddles, or quality DS games.

Arsenal drew Birmingham today, 2-2. The big news of the match however was a horrific tackle just 3 minutes in that lead to a devastating injury to Eduardo. The Croatian striker has broken both bones in his lower leg and is out for at least the rest of 2008. Rumors are already beginning to circulate that this could indeed be a career ending injury. As a football fan and an avid Arsenal supporter, I would sincerely like to extend my best wishes to such a fine footballer. Manchester United made the day even worse by clobbering Newcastle United 5-1 and drawing 3 points closer to Arsenal in the race for the Premiership. Hopefully, Arsenal can rally together and bounce back from such a dreadful day.

On a more positive note, I finally feel like I'm qualified to make some Oscar Predictions. I'm doing this just about 16 hours prior to the ceremony because I simply had to watch Atonement to give a fair opinion. Please note that I have abstained from a few categories in which I am not qualified to pick winners.

Actor in a Leading Role- Daniel Day-Lewis, There Will Be Blood
Actor in a Supporting Role- Javier Bardem, No Country for Old Men
Actress in a Leading Role- Ellen Page, Juno
Actress in a Supporting Role- Cate Blanchett, I'm Not There
Animated Feature Film- Ratatouille
Art Direction- Sweeny Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Cinematography- Atonement
Costume Design- Sweeny Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Directing- Paul Thomas Anderson, There Will Be Blood
Film Editing- The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Music (Original Score)- Atonement
Sound Editing- Transformers
Sound Mixing- Transformers
Visual Effects- Transformers
Writing (Adapted Screenplay)- The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Writing (Original Screenplay)- Juno

Best Picture-
No Country for Old Men

I guess we'll know in just a few hours how I did.
I'm out.

Blu3

No comments: