Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Grand Theft Awesome


Perhaps you were able to predict the content of this post from the title. If not, dear readers, I would like to discuss Grand Theft Auto IV. I was able to attend the midnight release of this long awaited and much anticipated title with approximately 200 other people. Indeed, it was glorious in spite of the uncomfortable cold and the repeated ID checks. I got in line at about 10:30 and waited alongside two delightful gents who were more than happy to discuss the latest happenings in the video game industry and other nerdy discussion topics. I was roughly the 10th person in line, so I was able to obtain a copy and make it home by approximately 12:15. I rifled through the packaging like young chap on Christmas morning and put the disc into my Xbox.

The opening cinematic sequence was nothing short of amazing, resembling several well known films. I was only moderately irresponsible, staying awake until about 3:30 before succumbing to crushing fatigue. In that brief time, I have formed several important impressions of the game. The story and cinematic sequences are easily on par with even the finest Hollywood films. The themes of capitalism, the perennial struggle between good and evil, what it means to be human, friendship, and love are all portrayed through compelling and well-written characters. The mission structure is excellent, and when one of your friends calls you just to hang out, the conversation is just interesting enough for you to oblige. I am quite enraptured with the story and am really enjoying myself.

Although at least half of the reviews I've read hand out a 10 to this game, I do not think I'm able to do so. I've indeed played games that were more enjoyable and better made than this, especially from a technical standpoint. The dialog has cut out on me a few times, trees/lamps popping in have caused me to lose races, the multiplayer has some very egregious technical issues as far as lag or being able to even enter a match, and a very small minority of the missions are really not very good. Overall, I would have to give this game a 9.5/10 because the glaring technical shortcomings are far outweighed by the sheer quality of the experience as a whole. Cheers to RockStar for making an outstanding title that will be played for many years to come.

/end

Blu3

No comments: